Thursday, February 16, 2012

Bonus asset, not mentioned on the CSR (child study report)

Neha's favorite hobby and one of mikes favorite surprise Neha attributes is the girl loves to pick up dog poop.    We have been trying to find the right person for that job and low and behold here she is.  Tiny miracles. I think her most favorite part of the job is she doesn't have any competition.  In her world, right now competition-less tasks are quite a reprieve. 
Charlotte new years birthday was hijacked by her immediate family being in India.   She was not totally aware that her actual birthday was, well skipped over to be reserved for a better date. It was in fact her request thatNeha be there for her birthday. Be careful what you wish for.
A swimming party, perfect for the middle of winter, just wasn't too sure what Neha would think of the whole thing..  She got the birthday concept, wrapping, presents for Charlotte, Charlotte's party, that sort of thing.  She had a blast swimming, wading, sliding. She had no fear of huge buckets dumping gallons on her head unannounced.  She was too tired to fight about opening presents. She passed out on the way home. She really did exceptionally well. Amazing actually.   Then.... The shit storm happened.
Perfect day, naps in the car, gifts abounding, even enough to share all around.  Well that isnt really how it went down.  Every gift, although designed for Charlotte age was coveted by each kid. Each three kids I tell you.  Everything was new, who would touch it first? What did it do? Who could break it first? ( an interesting concept in the orphanage, who could break it first?  The ultimate goal at the orphanage was to be the one that broke it, that simply meant no one else can play with it. It was strangely satisfying and Neha brought it home strong).  I digress. The only reason I bring all of this up is I was worried about large parties, crowds, situations with too much stimulation for Neha.  These things had been cautioned to me previously.  These things were not the problem.  The problem was nothing less than many,  many presents. All of them being one kids, but that kid had to share and act as if they were not just hers.  What? That's not gonna work.  And it didn't.  We (mike and i) had three straight days of looking at eachother with the "I'm sorry but I think I am going to totally freak the freak out before you are" look.  The " what the hell will life be like" look?  Otherwise know as WTF.  We had fear, sleeplessness, and complete emotional exhaustion in those same eyes.  We were at our max point.  Thankfully, although sometimes annoying to hear from my dear sweet mother ,"this too shall pass"' and it did.  
Happy birthday Charlotte. I'm sorry it was skipped over, but definitely not forgotten.  I'm so proud of you being strong enough for us to leave you for so long.  I recognize now that it was hard for you.  I am unthankfully paying the price of your non sleeping due to trama.  In every amazing day there are at least three really hard moments.  What doesn't kill us only
makes us stronger.  Jesus, I hope is is true.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erica! You are cracking me up. When Eli first arrived he loved to fold laundry with me. He's now more interested in other pursuits (like breaking toys!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica! I just came across your blog for the first time, your family is beautiful! Neha is a doll...congrats on bringing her home! I wish we would have been able to travel more when we were in India, your pictures are amazing! I pray things continue to go well with your new little miracle! God bless!

    ReplyDelete